Outpatient physical rehabilitative center in Miami, FL
Our outpatient rehabilitative care services help restore your abilities, regain your independence and recover fully.
When you are recovering from an illness or injury, our highly trained professionals will work in harmony to develop an outpatient treatment plan for your physical, cognitive, emotional and spiritual needs.
Conditions we treat at our outpatient physical rehabilitation center
We offer therapies for a wide range of conditions, including:
- Bowel and bladder management
- Brain injuries
- Cognitive and perceptual deficits
- Hip fractures
- Impaired mobility, balance and coordination
- Joint replacement surgery
- Limitations in self care
- Limitation in strength and range of motion
- Major multiple traumas
- Neurological disorders
- Speech and communication problems
- Spinal cord injuries
- Swallowing disorders
Our outpatient services
Our outpatient rehabilitative care can help you recover abilities, maximize strength and regain your independence.
Occupational therapy helps restore the abilities needed to return to work, school and activities of daily living. To help you adapt to any permanently changed abilities, our occupational therapists may help with home modifications or wheelchair fittings.
Occupational therapy can also help with:
- Activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing or homemaking
- Cognitive performance
- Lymphedema management
- Upper extremity function (strength, range of motion)
Our licensed physical therapists provide individualized programs to help you regain strength, mobility and independence after an illness, injury or medical procedure.
On your initial visit, your therapist will perform a comprehensive evaluation and customize a treatment plan to meet your needs.
Some of the physical therapies and rehabilitative techniques we offer include:
- Balance and coordination training for vestibular problems
- Cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation
- Fall prevention and recovery
- Injury prevention
- Postoperative rehab
- Strength and endurance programs
- Wound care
Our specialized rehabilitation programs
We also provide specialized programs, including:
Lymphedema is the swelling of a body part, most often an arm or leg, caused by the abnormal accumulation of lymph fluid. It can be both debilitating and disfiguring. People with lymphedema can experience swollen limbs and body parts, a worsening condition, repeated infections and thickening skin.
Our lymphedema management program is a nonsurgical and highly effective combination of the following techniques:
- Bandaging — Bandaging provides constant gentle pressure, helping to maintain the reduction of swelling achieved during manual lymph drainage treatment. Bandaging is done daily while the limb size is changing.
- Custom-fitted compression garments — Once fluid reduction is achieved, you may receive custom compression garments for long-term use to maintain circulation.
- Exercise — The lymphatic system is stimulated by using muscle contraction as a pump for the lymph vessels. Exercises to reduce edema (swelling) may be done while wearing the compression bandages to maximize lymph drainage.
- Manual lymph drainage (MLD) — MLD is a gentle manual massage treatment that improves the function of the lymphatic system throughout the body. MLD reroutes lymph fluid around blocked or damaged areas to decrease swelling in the affected area.
- Skin care — Good hygiene and skin care are essential to eliminate bacterial and fungal growth and prevent infection within the affected body part.
Neurological and stroke rehabilitation
Our neurological rehabilitation program helps patients recover from head injuries, spinal cord disorders, genetic diseases, strokes and other neurological conditions.
To aid in a full recovery, you gain access to a range of rehabilitative therapies and advanced equipment, including:
- Body weight supported exercise equipment
- Family and caregiver training
- Fully equipped kitchen, bedroom and bathroom for therapy training
- Neuromuscular retraining
- Neuropsychological testing
- One-on-one therapy available with physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Stroke prevention education
- Vital stimulation therapies provided by a certified therapist
- Vocational, family, financial and intimacy counseling
Orthopedic pain management
Our full continuum of orthopedic care includes orthopedic rehabilitation. We focus on managing pain in the low back, neck and extremities. Additionally, we provide therapies to help you recover from a joint replacement surgery or to relieve pain caused by an injury.
About our outpatient physical rehabilitation center
Outpatient physical therapy is provided at our Kohly Center for Outpatient Rehabilitation, located at our hospital. Outpatient therapy can help you continue making steps toward a full recovery.
For more information about the Kohly Center for Outpatient Rehabilitation, please call (305) 285-2966.
The outpatient physical therapy center is located at:
HCA Florida Mercy Hospital
3663 South Miami Ave.
Miami, FL 33133