Sleep disorders refer to a change or disturbance in a patient's normal sleep pattern. Sleep disorders may affect the amount of sleep and quality of sleep someone receives. Sleep timing may also be of concern in the case of disorders like narcolepsy. Sleep disorders can be linked to both medical and emotional causes.
Sleep specialists in Miami
Getting enough sleep helps your body recover from illness and injury and offers mental health benefits as well.
At the Mercy Hospital Sleep Laboratory at HCA Florida Mercy Hospital, we understand the seriousness of a sleep disorder and how it can affect your life. Our sleep disorder center provides comprehensive diagnostic evaluations, called sleep studies, to diagnose what is causing your sleep disorder and help you rest better.
Looking for a Location?
Sleep disorders we treat
Receiving a diagnosis and treatment for your sleep disorder can greatly improve your quality of life. With a physician’s referral for treatment at our sleep clinic, we can evaluate you for sleep disorders such as:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD)
- Nocturnal myoclonus
- Sleep apnea
When to consult a doctor about sleep problems
Serious sleep problems usually present as symptoms you can identify at home.
Signs of a sleep disorder
Ask yourself the following questions. If you answer yes, especially to one or more of these questions, we encourage you to consult your doctor for a referral to our sleep laboratory.
- Do you feel excessively sleepy during the day?
- Do you have difficulty falling asleep?
- Do you awaken frequently during the night?
- Do you snore loudly?
- Do you stop breathing during your sleep?
- Do you suddenly awaken gasping for breath?
- Do you get morning headaches?
- Do you feel your body going limp when you are angry or surprised?
- Do you experience vivid dreamlike scenes upon falling asleep or awakening?
- Do you experience leg pain during the night?
- Do you kick and thrash while asleep?
- Do you wake up with heartburn, coughing or wheezing?