Neurologists and neurosurgeons in Palm Beach County, Florida
When you need neurological care, our experienced specialists are here for you.
The Neuroscience Institute at HCA Florida JFK Hospital is nationally recognized for our neuroscience services. We are a leading treatment and resource center for patients affected by complex neurological conditions. Working together, our neurologists and neurosurgeons use the latest technology and treatments to treat diverse, challenging injuries and conditions affecting the brain, spine, cerebrovascular system and nervous system.
Looking for a Location?
Learn more about our related specialties
Neurological conditions we treat
At The Neuroscience Institute, we specialize in treating the following conditions:
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Back and neck problems
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Brain cancer
- Chronic pain and headaches
- Degenerative disorders
- Ischemic strokes
- Subarachnoid hemorrhages and intracranial hemorrhages
Our neurological center's services
Our multidisciplinary and patient-centered neurosciences team consists of physicians who treat neurological diseases and disorders. We work together to provide a range of advanced treatment options for complex, challenging and, often, life-threatening neurological conditions.
Comprehensive neurological care
We are proud to be at the forefront of neurological diagnostics and treatments. Our hospital houses a 72-bed neuroscience unit, which includes an 18-bed Neuro Intensive Care Unit (Neuro ICU) and an 18-bed Neuro Step-Down unit. Following treatment, we are dedicated to aiding our patients in their recovery processes.
Diagnostic neurological imaging services
In addition to the comprehensive technology and imaging services offered in our radiology department, we offer advanced neuroimaging of the brain and spine. We employ board-certified neuroradiologists who have additional years of training in performing neuroimaging procedures and reading and interpreting the results.
Our hospital is home to a neuroangiography surgical suite where we perform minimally invasive imaging procedures and treatments 24/7, including:
- Computerized tomography (CT)
- Endoscopic procedures
- Image-guided procedures
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Brain tumor care
There are many conditions that can arise in the region of the anterior skull base, including but not limited to benign (noncancerous) tumors, malignant (cancerous) tumors and leakage of fluid from the brain into the nose. This is why anterior skull base conditions and tumors require the expertise of a multidisciplinary team of specialists in the fields of cancer care, neurosurgery, and otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat care) and neuroradiology. At our hospital, this team meets to consider each patient's unique needs before recommending a treatment plan.
Types of skull base tumors we treat
We treat a wide range of brain tumors that are found in the skull base, including:
- Angiofibroma: a noncancerous tumor forming in the nasal cavity and made up of tissues and blood vessels
- Cerebrospinal fluid leak: an abnormality when cerebrospinal fluid leaks out of the skull base and exits through the ear or nose
- Chordoma: a type of slow-growing spinal tumor that can expand into surrounding tissues and bones
- Crainopharyngeoma: a type of brain tumor normally occurring in children and adolescents near the pituitary gland
- Encephalocele: a congenital abnormality of the neural tube that creates a hole in the skull base that allows for a protrusion of the brain outside of the skull
- Esthesioneuroblastoma: a type of cancerous tumor occurring in the nasal cavity at the front of the skull base
- Meningioma: a tumor that is found on the membranes of the brain and spinal cord, usually noncancerous
- Pituitary tumor (adenoma): abnormal growths in the pituitary gland
Treatment for pituitary and skull base tumors
Our neurosurgeons have multiple surgical options to treat brain tumors:
- Image-guided, computer-assisted endoscopic sinus and nasal surgery
- Minimally invasive endoscopic anterior skull base surgery
- Minimally invasive microscopic anterior skull base surgery
At The Spine Institute, our orthopedic spine specialists and neurologists work hand-in-hand to provide comprehensive care for injuries and conditions affecting the spine. The neck and back are complex, vital structures in our bodies, and the specialists at The Spine Institute have received extensive training to provide the highest level of care for our patients. We offer nonsurgical treatment options, like pain management techniques, and a full range of surgical options, including minimally invasive spine procedures.
The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association has recognized our hospital's stroke care with the Get With The Guidelines Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. This award recognizes our compliance with stringent guidelines and superior outcomes for stroke patients. We are also certified by The Joint Commission as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
Neurointerventional radiology procedures provide a complete spectrum of minimally invasive services for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with vascular problems related to the brain and spinal cord. Certain conditions that would have required open surgery can now be considered for minimally invasive treatment using endovascular approaches. Our neurointerventionalists specialize in the minimally invasive, endovascular approach of navigating microcatheters through the blood vessels under continuous X-ray guidance. Some diseases treated with these techniques may include strokes, tumors, vascular malformations, cerebral aneurysms and carotid artery disease.
Benefits of endoscopy
We perform endoscopic surgery whenever possible. Benefits of endoscopic surgery include:
- Better visualization of the surgical field
- Faster recovery time
- Increased ability to remove an entire tumor
- No need for nasal packing
- Shorter hospital stay
- Shorter surgical time
Dr. Ramin Abdolvahabi Describes a Neurosurgeon's Duties
The Healthy Living Blog
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.