Pulmonary disease specialists in Florida
Breathing easily and peacefully should be a joyous experience for everyone, but if you have a medical condition that negatively impacts your lung health, this may be a trying task for you.
Luckily, HCA Florida Healthcare offers specialized and comprehensive pulmonary care for lung and respiratory illnesses. With a compassionate and caring team looking forward to catering to your needs.
Pulmonary conditions we treat
Our pulmonary doctors work alongside your physician to restore airway function and treat various pulmonary conditions, including:
- Certain allergies
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung cancer
- Other breathing disorders
Our pulmonary diagnostics and services
Our hospitals offer a wide range of screenings and diagnostic exams to assess pulmonary conditions. We also offer a variety of surgical and non-surgical treatments.
The goal of pulmonary testing is to measure the proper function of the lungs and oxygenation to other parts of the body. Some of our pulmonary tests include:
- Arterial blood gas (ABG) test — This is a blood test that measures oxygen, carbon dioxide and pH levels in the artery. ABG tests are used to identify oxygenation, ventilation and metabolic insufficiencies.
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) — This is a diagnostic test that uses a bronchoscope to identify lung disease or perform a biopsy.
- Pulmonary function test — This test focuses on assessing how well the lungs are performing. Lung volume, capacity and flow rates are measured and can be used to diagnose certain types of lung conditions.
Pulmonary care treatments and services
We offer a variety of pulmonary treatment and services to restore your respiratory health. Depending on your diagnosis and unique condition, your doctor may suggest one or more of the following:
- Bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP) — This treatment offers a noninvasive method of ventilation for patients with sleep apnea, COPD, high carbon dioxide levels, congestive heart failure and oxygenation deficiencies.
- Nebulizer treatment — A nebulizer is a medication delivery device used to administer medicine as a treatment for patients with asthma or COPD.
- Positive expiratory pressure (PEP) therapy — This therapy helps keep the airways from closing by aiding the lungs in expanding. PEP therapy is useful when a patient is experiencing broken ribs or a collapsed airway.
- Ventilator treatment — A ventilator is a breathing machine that assists a patient in breathing or breathes for the patient.
Lung cancer screening
Lung cancer is one of the most common cancers affecting both men and women in the U.S. Early detection and diagnosis are vital to successfully treating lung cancer.
Your doctor may recommend a lung cancer screening if you:
- Are 55 years and older
- Are a current or former smoker (quit within the past 15 years)
- Have chest pain that worsens with coughing or deep breathing
- Hold a heavy smoking history (30 pack-year)
- Experience chronic coughing or cough up blood
Our skilled specialists provide low-dose computed tomography (CT) scans to diagnose patients with or without symptoms.
Our pulmonary disease specialists
Everyone deserves a clean bill of health, and our expert respiratory therapists pride themselves on evaluating, treating and caring for patients with various breathing disorders.
Your pulmonary care team may include:
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Medical oncologists
- Physical therapists
- Radiation oncologists
- Respiratory therapists
These professionals work with patients of all ages and are qualified to perform intensive, critical care and neonatal procedures, so you can breathe a sigh of relief.