Our Community Impact
Our network is bound together by a single purpose: to create healthier tomorrows for every patient we serve — and for each other as well. This purpose-driven brand reflects the unity of Florida’s extensive network of specialists and dedicated healthcare experts delivering top-quality care to patients across the Sunshine State. Our impact is made possible by our incredible colleagues, communities and strategic partners who embrace HCA Florida Healthcare’s mission and values.
We Show Up
Mini Medical University
Our impact throughout Florida
- More than 650 total sites of care
- More than 79,000 colleagues and 11,000 physicians
- More than 8.6 million patient encounters
- More than 1,000 charitable organizations supported through donations and volunteering
- More than $1.2 billion in capital investments in Florida in 2022
- $848.8 million estimated cost of uncompensated care provided in 2022
- $5.4 billion in salaries, wages and benefits in 2022
Equity of care
We are committed to providing equitable access to high-quality care for our patients and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace for our colleagues. Our Equity of Care program provides patient-focused solutions and resources through the following focus areas:
- Data collection: Our Health Equity Council analyzes data to address disparities and improve patient outcomes, including data from our more than 8.6 million annual patient encounters across Florida communities.
- Pastoral and spiritual care: We maintain a statewide network of professionally certified and accredited chaplains and qualified pastoral and spiritual care providers who provide spiritual care for our patients, their companions, our colleagues and the communities we serve.
- Language services: Our facilities deliver healthcare services in more than 170 languages and dialects.
- Access to services: Equity of Care Coordinators (ECCs) ensure equitable access to high-quality healthcare services for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, are blind or have low vision, utilize service animals or are limited English proficient (LEP).
We remain focused on the safety of our patients by supporting safety initiatives and sharing best practices across our facilities. These initiatives include:
- Enhanced Surgical Recovery (ESR) program
- Enhanced screening
- Fast stroke care
- Focus on reducing opioid misuse
Empowering our colleagues
We are committed to helping our colleagues achieve their personal and professional goals and ensuring that everyone on our team feels fulfilled in their career.
Our Leadership Institute advances our vision by building strategic and operational capabilities, rapidly deploying best practices and cultivating leaders who exemplify our values. We also offer colleagues student loan assistance and tuition assistance programs.
Creating connections through our Colleague Networks
We've launched virtual networks to give colleagues the chance to meet and network with peers who have shared experiences and commonalities. Our Colleague Networks include groups for veterans, Black colleagues, women, young professionals, LGBTQ+ colleagues, Hispanic/Latinx colleagues, Asian and Pacific Islander colleagues and colleagues with disabilities and their allies — each with a senior leader serving as executive sponsor.
We have a longstanding connection to the U.S. armed forces, military veterans and their families. Since 2012, we have hired more than 40,000 veterans, active-duty personnel and military spouses. In 2021, the Military Times named HCA Healthcare one of the country’s best employers for military-connected employment programs, benefits and support. We have also been nationally recognized as a military-friendly employer and military spouse friendly employer for 11 consecutive years by VIQTORY.
A focus on mental health
More than ever, healthcare workers are under tremendous pressure to care for their communities in the midst of greater demands and fewer care providers. We’re here to support our colleagues with programs including:
Nurse Care: This free, confidential, 24/7 support program and counseling service gives full-time and part-time hospital-based nurses remote access to licensed psychologists, social workers and marriage and family therapists.
Doctor On Demand: Colleagues with an eligible medical plan can speak with a board-certified physician any time, day or night, through this telehealth service.
Optum: This partnership offers colleagues and members of their immediate household free counseling sessions. Colleagues can also access free apps, resources and referral services to find help with anything from home maintenance to legal support.
Motivation Alliance: Our colleagues can access a free custom version of this service, which provides tools for managing stress and anxiety.
Caring for our Sunshine State communities
Whether through volunteering our time, making charitable donations or partnering with other organizations, we are committed to creating healthier tomorrows for our Florida communities.
HCA Healthcare Hope Fund
The HCA Healthcare Hope Fund is a colleague-run, colleague-supported 501(c)(3) charity that helps colleagues and their immediate families when faced with financial hardship due to natural disaster, illness/injury, domestic violence, death of a loved one or other difficult situations.
Giving and volunteering
With a presence throughout the state, investing in the local communities remains a priority. Our colleagues show up for the Sunshine State by volunteering time, making charitable donations and partnering with other organizations.
The Healthier Tomorrow Fund, established by the HCA Healthcare Foundation, supports initiatives focused on addressing high priority community needs and health equity. The fund initially provided grants to nonprofit organizations in 25 communities where our organization has a presence, including Miami, Palm Beach, Tampa, Tallahassee and Orlando, with plans to expand to additional markets.
As part of We Show Up for Our Communities Week, colleagues from HCA Florida Ocala Hospital and HCA Florida West Marion Hospital came together to support the City of Ocala Parks and Recreation by helping clean up Tuscawilla Park.