Breast health center in Brandon, Florida
Early detection is vital in the fight against breast cancer.
At The Breast Center inside HCA Florida Brandon Hospital, we are dedicated to helping detect breast cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages. To do this, we provide high-quality breast care through advanced imaging capabilities, diagnostic testing and treatment options. Our caring staff aims to make your yearly mammograms as comfortable and convenient as possible. If breast cancer is detected, we are here to walk you through every step of treatment and recovery.
You can now schedule a screening mammogram online.
You can now schedule a screening mammogram online.
Our breast care services
At The Breast Center, we make every effort to create a positive patient experience through personalized care and services that include:
Advanced breast imaging is a key component of our hospital's comprehensive women's care services. We know the importance of detecting breast disease early, and we are here to support you through advanced imaging and diagnostic testing.
Our breast screening and diagnostic services include:
- 3D mammography — This type of mammogram takes multiple pictures of the breast from different angles to produce a 3D image of the breast.
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) — This form of breast imaging uses MRI technology to detect the presence of breast cancer or other breast abnormalities. Breast MRI may be used as an additional screening tool or to assess the extent of the disease following a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Breast ultrasound — This imaging exam uses sound waves to view the internal structures of the breast. It is often used to visualize a breast lump or abnormality felt during a physical breast exam.
- Digital breast localization — This procedure allows for a needle to be inserted prior to breast surgery to mark the location of a breast abnormality for the surgeon.
- Digital stereotactic breast biopsy — This is a noninvasive technique used to gather a sample of breast tissue for diagnostic testing by a pathologist.
3D mammography has become the ideal imaging procedure to detect breast abnormalities in women 50 years old and younger. It's also a helpful screening tool for women with dense breast tissue who may be at a higher risk for developing breast cancer.
3D mammography offers several advantages over traditional mammography, including:
- Faster image acquisition
- High image quality with the ability to enhance and manipulate images for further evaluation
- Secure digital image storage with the ability to print on film
- Shorter exam times
Breast cancer screening
Best practices in screening for breast cancer vary from person to person based on a range of personal and genetic factors. However, most women should follow these guidelines:
- Begin monthly self-breast exams at 20 years old
- Begin yearly clinical breast exams by your physician at 20 years old
- Begin yearly mammograms, in addition to your self-breast exams and clinical breast exams, at 40 years old (for women with an average risk of developing breast cancer)
Women at high risk for developing breast cancer may need to begin breast cancer screening earlier. They may also require supplemental screening tools. Talk to your healthcare provider about your risk factors for breast cancer and what type of screening schedule is right for you.
Breast cancer diagnostics
If an abnormality is detected on your mammogram, we are here to help reduce your anxiety and get quick results. Our team is committed to providing answers fast to decrease the time between detection and diagnosis.
You will typically be notified of your screening results within 48 hours if there is an abnormality. Your physician will be contacted immediately with your results for further review.
To diagnose breast cancer, we offer:
Digital stereotactic breast biopsy
A digital stereotactic breast biopsy is a less invasive alternative to a surgical biopsy. It involves obtaining a tissue sample using a vacuum-assisted device and a small sampling probe. The system gathers multiple samples to accurately identify the presence of early-stage breast cancer.
Stereotactic biopsies are performed on an outpatient basis and last about one hour. The biopsy will be sent to our hospital's pathologists who will review the sample and send a report to your referring physician within 72 hours.
Additionally, a stereotactic breast biopsy offers less internal scarring compared to an open, surgical biopsy. This makes it easier to detect any abnormalities on future mammograms.
Digital breast localization
A digital breast localization is a procedure that locates a specific area in the breast prior to surgically removing the tissue. We use this procedure to guide your surgeon to the localized area on the day of surgery.
Digital breast localization is performed on an outpatient basis and requires at least 45 minutes to complete.
Coming to the hospital for your breast biopsy or localization
Our Biopsy Suite is located on the first floor of our hospital in the Radiology Department. On the day of your biopsy, you may park in the South Parking Garage and report to the admitting/registration desk in Tower A.
Please arrive one hour before your scheduled appointment.
If breast cancer is diagnosed, we are here to support you every step of the way. We have highly trained breast surgeons on staff who are available for consultation within 48 hours of receiving a physician referral.
Surgical treatment for breast cancer focuses on removing cancerous tissue from the breast. This can be accomplished through several procedures, including:
- Lumpectomy — This surgery removes only the cancerous portion of the breast and conserves the rest of the healthy breast tissue.
- Single mastectomy — This surgery removes all breast tissue in a single breast.
- Double mastectomy — This surgery removes all breast tissue in both breasts.
Following breast surgery, we offer breast reconstructive surgery to help restore the appearance of the breast(s). Talk to your breast surgeon about your reconstruction options.
The Breast Center's amenities
Our goal is to make your visit with us as convenient and comfortable as possible. To do this, we offer:
- Assistance acquiring previous mammogram films
- Breast cushions to reduce discomfort during compression
- Comfortable robes and slippers
- Support from our breast care coordinator
Our breast care coordinator provides a wide range of support services, including:
- Assistance coordinating procedures among providers
- Assistance in identifying support resources
- Complete nursing assessment and support
- Ongoing education and disease information
- Scheduling for appointments and consultations
Looking for a Location?
Our Breast health Locations