Our pharmacy provides patients with numerous clinical services from both the main pharmacy, as well as satellite pharmacies throughout the hospital.
About our Department of Pharmacy
The Department of Pharmacy serves patients at HCA Florida West Hospital from the main pharmacy as well as at decentralized locations throughout the hospital. This includes the intensive care unit (ICU), progressive care units (PCUs), emergency department, pediatric unit and adult medical/surgical floors. The integrative care and decentralized pharmacy practice model provides increased opportunity for collaboration with physicians, mid-level practitioners, nurses and patients, in order to optimize patient-centered care. Our mission statement reads:
The Department of Pharmacy is dedicated to the provision of excellence in patient care, education, community service and research.
Clinical pharmacy services
At HCA Florida West Hospital, our Department of Pharmacy offers patients a range of clinical pharmacy services, including:
- Admission and discharge medication reconciliations with patient education
- Consultation services including anticoagulation dosing and monitoring (including warfarin), glycemic control management, pain management and post-operative patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) management allowing patients to decide when they receive pain medicine
- Daily antimicrobial review for de-escalation and appropriateness
- Daily direct patient care rounding with an interdisciplinary team (IDT)
- Drug information in-services to all members of the healthcare team
- Renal dosing of over 100 medications, IV to PO conversion on over 30 medications, pharmacokinetic management of all vancomycin and aminoglycosides, dose rounding for several weight-based medications, parenteral nutrition management
- Utilization of a medication therapy system that alerts pharmacists to medication management opportunities, including antimicrobial de-escalation and renal dose adjustment alerts