Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Rehabilitation refers to the process of helping a patient recover from a serious injury or illness. Patients often have to regain strength and learn new ways of completing normal, daily activities. Physical therapy, a branch of rehabilitation, focuses on building strength and mobility after disease, injury or surgery.
Rehabilitation services in Trinity, Florida
If you are recovering from a serious injury or disease, it can be challenging to get healthy again — and may even be unsafe to attempt it alone.
At HCA Florida Trinity Hospital, our rehabilitation center serves Pinellas County, offering inpatient and outpatient treatment to improve your functionality, independence and quality of life. Your treatment team will develop a plan tailored to your unique needs and will provide focused one-on-one treatment sessions.
Looking for a Location?
Rehabilitation treatment options
Our highly trained professionals provide the latest therapies to promote recovery and build strength and skills, including:
Physical therapy can provide relief from a wide range of muscle and joint disorders, whether they were the result of disease, injury or surgery. Our licensed physical therapists provide comprehensive physical therapy, and our certified manual therapists skillfully treat joint disorders. Our physical therapy for adults and children includes:
- Functional electrical stimulation (ESTIM)
- Home exercise programs for strength and balance
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) (to treat scar tissue and fascial restrictions during rehabilitation)
- Manual therapy, including stretching and exercise
Occupational therapy helps patients regain their independence in activities of daily living (ADL). Our licensed occupational therapists provide treatments that include:
- ADL, home management and vocational training
- Gross and fine motor skill development
- Functional mobility
- Hand therapy
- Splints for arms and hands
Lymphedema is swelling that happens when the lymph system becomes blocked or damaged and fluid (lymph) builds up in the arms and legs. The condition causes loss of movement and function and reduces the ability to grip.
Our certified lymphedema and wound care therapists focus on controlling swelling by moving lymph through the body. Therapies offered include:
- Compression devices
- Pressure garments
Pelvic floor therapy
Our physical therapists have specialized training in pelvic floor therapy. Patients who have pelvic floor dysfunction receive therapy in our private rooms. Treatment options include:
- Bladder and bowel retraining
- Pelvic floor muscle strengthening
- Manual therapy and soft tissue mobilization
- Pelvic floor relaxation/down training
- Electromyogram (EMG) biofeedback
Our speech-language pathologists care for patients with swallowing or speech disorders. Our speech therapies include:
- Articulation therapy
- Augmentative and alternative communication systems, including body language and electronic aids
- Voice therapy for Parkinson's disease
- Oral-motor exercises to improve feeding and swallowing
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation system therapy
Neuromuscular electrical stimulation system therapy
We are proud to offer a breakthrough method used in the management and treatment of swallowing disorders. Our neuromuscular electrical stimulation system retrains throat muscles to swallow. This therapy reeducates the functional muscle-use patterns necessary to initiate or reestablish swallowing.
When you experience unsteadiness, dizziness and vertigo, it can be debilitating and greatly affect your quality of life. To help, we offer vestibular rehabilitation — an exercise-based program used to treat the cause of balance issues and vertigo.
Our certified vestibular therapists focus on identifying the source of the symptoms and develop a customized program which may include:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) maneuvers
- Gait and balance training
- Gaze stabilization and visual tracking exercises
- Habituation and adaptation exercise
- Manual therapy
Rehabilitation support groups
Our rehabilitation support groups help you gain insight by sharing their experiences with others:
- Chatterboxes is a group for patients with communication deficits as a result of a cerebral vascular accident (stroke) or neurological disorders. We encourage caregivers and spouses to attend. This group is led by our speech-language pathologists, and it meets every other Thursday, from 3:00pm to 4:00pm.
- Lymphedema Support Group is led by a licensed physical therapist and meets on the third Thursday of each month, from 3:00pm to 4:00pm.
Our rehabilitation team
Our treatment team includes:
- Certified lymphedema therapist
- Certified manual therapists
- Certified speech-language pathologists
- Certified pelvic floor physical therapists
- Certified vestibular therapist
- Licensed occupational and physical therapists
Getting to your physical therapy appointment
We are located in the Medical Arts Building, which is east of main facility's main entrance.
The Healthy Living Blog
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.