Diagnostics and laboratory
Diagnostic and laboratory testing are used to help further understand patient conditions. Diagnostic testing occurs when physicians require more information for evaluation and/or diagnosis of a patient. Examples of laboratory tests include biopsies, blood tests and urine samples.
Lab services in Sarasota, Florida
Accurate diagnostic tests are important steps in getting the care and personalized treatment plan you need.
At HCA Healthcare Sarasota Doctors Hospital, we provide comprehensive diagnostic laboratory services. We are convenient to Florida's Sarasota and Manatee counties, Lakewood Ranch and Venice. Our specialists are well equipped to detect a wide range of conditions and assist you with living your healthiest life.
Diagnostic laboratory services
Our hospital lab is accredited by the College of American Pathologists and housed with advanced technology to provide expert care and accurate results.
Tests we offer
We offer diagnostic tests to check your:
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) to evaluate liver function and diagnose possible heart and liver diseases
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) to measure liver and kidney excretions as well as sometimes determining pregnancy
- Calcium to measure calcium in the blood to diagnose possible bone abnormalities or metabolic functions
- Complete blood count (CBC) to measure the volume and types of cells that make up the blood
- Creatinine to measure kidney function or failure
- Direct and total bilirubin to diagnose and treat pancreas, hematologic (disorders of the blood and blood-forming organs) and gallbladder disorders
- Electrolytes to screen for diabetes and check hydration
- Glucose to measure sugar in the blood and test for diabetes or for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Lipid panel to measure cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins (LDL), high-density lipoproteins (HDL) and triglycerides, which are associated with vascular disease
- Protein to measure protein in the blood to diagnose problems with nutrition
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to measure protein hormone that regulates the thyroid gland
To help you stay up-to-date on your lab tests, you can keep track of your results on the MyHealthOne Patient Portal.
Biopsies are performed by doctor referral and are an important part of identifying if cells are cancerous and at what stage the cancer is in. Our staff uses a combination of imaging techniques to perform more accurate biopsies. For example, your doctor may use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT) scans and ultrasounds to perform quick, accurate biopsies.
Looking for another location?
Our Diagnostics and laboratory Locations