Pediatrics is the medical care of infants, children and adolescents. Pediatricians are specially trained to treat diseases, behavioral problems and mental health issues as they relate to children. Pediatric care includes well check-ups, vaccinations and much more.
Comprehensive pediatric care in Miami
Children have a special place in our hearts and in our hospital.
When you come to HCA Florida Kendall Hospital for your child’s treatment, you can take comfort in knowing they will receive a high level of care by our trusted pediatricians.
Our pediatric specialists don't treat children like adults. Instead, we take time to better understand their unique physical, emotional and social needs. Our child life specialist on staff ensures a seamless experience for both you and your child. Every step of the way, you can count on our pediatric team to care for your child with compassion, sensitivity and respect.
Comprehensive pediatric services
Our pediatric services and amenities were designed with kids in mind and include:
- Access to pediatric subspecialties
- Annual family events for Miami-area families
- Child-friendly nourishment room
- Child life specialist on staff
- Dedicated pediatric emergency room (ER)
- Family-centered pediatric inpatient unit
- Kids-only treatment room for minor or outpatient procedures
- Multidisciplinary medical team experienced in pediatrics
- Pediatric imaging services, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computerized tomography (CT)
- Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
- Warm, comforting, kid-friendly environment
Our pediatric specialists
The pediatric team at our hospital includes:
- Pediatric intensivists
- Registered nurses (RNs)
- Respiratory therapists
- Physical therapists
- Clinical pharmacists
- Social workers
We also have physicians from a range of pediatric subspecialties, including heart and vascular care, gastroenterology, orthopedic services and neurological care.
Child life specialist
We know hospitals can be a scary place for children. That is why we offer the services of a child life specialist to young patients.
Our child life specialist helps bring normalization to your child's hospital experience through education and appropriate therapeutic and medical play. The child life specialist's goal is to remind children that they can still be a kid, even in the hospital. This can help reduce any stress or anxiety your child may be facing.
Inpatient pediatric unit
Our 12-bed inpatient (acute-care) pediatric unit focuses on allowing kids to comfortably heal after an illness, injury or surgery. It offers kid-friendly amenities, including cable TV, DVD players, a playroom with video games and a nourishment room. This unit was designed to visually appeal to kids with its bright, cheerful décor.
Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
Our PICU is staffed by a team of experienced healthcare professionals and features state-of-the-art medical equipment for young patients requiring critical care.
Our PICU is on the same floor as our pediatric acute-care unit, so patients in intensive care have access to the playroom and all other kid-friendly amenities.
Pediatric emergency care
Our pediatric emergency room treats nearly 20,000 children per year. This dedicated pediatric emergency department is staffed with pediatricians and medical personnel experienced in treating childhood diseases and injuries.
If your child needs to stay with us in the hospital after visiting our emergency room, we work hard to ensure a smooth transition of care to our pediatric inpatient unit or PICU.
Connecting with the Miami community
Because staying healthy starts early in life, we strive to provide education in a fun, kid-friendly setting through our annual family events.
Pediatric advisory council
We never stop trying to improve our pediatric care program. This is why we've talked with kids from the Miami-Dade County community about what excellence in pediatric care should look like from their perspective.
From food choices to video games preferences, we took the opinions from this group of "kid experts" to make sure our hospital is offering the best to our young patients.
Pediatric Bill of Rights
- I have the right for you to look me in the eyes and talk to me in a way that I can understand.
- I have the right to privacy. Please knock on my door before you enter.
- I have the right to know who is caring for me. Please introduce yourself when we meet.
- I have the right to make choices when appropriate. Please let me make them when possible.
- I have the right for you to be honest with me.
- I have the right to know what you are going to do to me, before you do it.
- I have the right to play. Remember, I am a kid.
- I have the right to be heard when I have something to say.
- I have the right to keep my favorite toys with me when I am in the hospital.
- I have the right to know the truth even when I may not like it. Please do not tell me that something will not hurt if it will.
Above all, please allow me to express my feelings and to just be a kid.
Meet Ariana Lorenzo, the Child Life Specialist at Kendall Hospital
Looking for another locations?
Our Pediatrics Locations