Weight loss surgery
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is generally performed on patients with obesity. There are several types of bariatric procedures, but all focus on making modifications to the digestive system with the goal of significant weight loss.
Weight loss doctors in Sebring, Florida
Losing weight can be extremely difficult, and when you need to lose 100 pounds or more, it can seem impossible.
HCA Florida Highlands Hospital is here to help you overcome the impossible through our comprehensive bariatric (weight loss) surgery program. You can improve your health, reduce your risk of developing obesity-related conditions and enhance your quality of life. We offer nutrition and fitness education, as well as support that begins before surgery and extends beyond recovery.
Types of weight loss surgery we offer
Our experienced bariatric surgeons specialize in minimally invasive, proven weight-loss and weight-control procedures, including:
Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding
During the procedure, your surgeon uses laparoscopic techniques to implant an inflatable silicone band into your abdomen. The band is fastened around the upper stomach to create a new, smaller stomach pouch.
It also creates a small outlet that slows the emptying process into the stomach and the intestines. This causes you to feel full quicker and longer.
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
Unlike other bariatric procedures, this is a purely restrictive procedure, so it does not interfere with the absorption of any essential vitamins or minerals your body needs.
Understanding more about weight loss surgery
Learn more about eligibility and requirements for bariatric surgery to help you determine the right next step for you.
Candidates for weight loss surgery
- You are 100 pounds or more over the healthy body weight of your height
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater
- You have a BMI of 35 or greater and obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes
- You are otherwise unable to sustain a healthy body weight, even through medically supervised dieting
Bariatric surgery requirements
The exact tests, forms and steps required before weight loss surgery can vary from person to person. However, we are here to help you navigate the process and have outlined the typical steps here:
- Verify insurance coverage: Unless you plan to self-pay for bariatric surgery, contact your insurance provider to see if they will cover your procedure and, if so, what requirements they have.
- Document medically monitored weight loss attempts: Most insurance companies require several months of medically documented and supervised weight loss attempts. Your primary care provider can help you with this process and documentation.
- Schedule a bariatric surgery consultation with us: After you have gathered required documentation, please make an appointment with our weight loss team and we'll talk about the next steps together.
- Complete a psychological evaluation: A psychological evaluation is required before weight loss surgery. It includes a detailed clinical interview and psychological tests that help us understand your mental health.
- Complete a nutritional assessment: A nutritional assessment is also part of the preoperative plan of care. It will cover your postsurgical diet, emotional eating, food intake and identifying your triggers.
Looking for another location?
The Healthy Living Blog
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.