- HCA Florida Healthcare has protocols in place to care for patients with infectious diseases and we are preparing for potential issues related to COVID-19. As part of HCA Healthcare, one of the nation’s leading providers of healthcare, we are uniquely positioned to leverage our resources to provide support and solutions to our patients, colleagues and communities to meet the demands of this rapidly evolving situation.
- We have strong protocols in place and are following guidelines set forth by the CDC. The safety of our patients is and always has been our first priority and we will continue to provide safe, effective, patient-centered care.
- Colleagues responsible for care have been provided training on the safe, effective and responsible use of PPE. Our hospitals have prioritized negative pressure rooms equipped to handle patients with airborne and droplet precautions consistent with CDC guidelines.
- HCA Florida Healthcare partners with experts in the field of hospital cleanliness for our environmental service needs. We stay ahead of the COVID-19 curve, ensuring that our hospital is clean, disinfected and environmentally safe for all patients, visitors and staff members. Our housekeeping staff are fully trained on the proper use of PPE to ensure that nothing is transmitted throughout the hospital during the cleaning process.HCA Florida Healthcare performs daily cleaning and disinfection of all high-touch surfaces in all rooms. Once a patient is discharged from that room, a terminal clean is performed. These cleaning steps are in compliance with the guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control.
- HCA Healthcare and its facilities continually monitor emergency preparedness and surge plans to meet potential need. We continue to work in partnership with county health departments, the Florida Department of Health and the CDC for the health and safety of all those we serve. Our HCA Florida Healthcare team of exceptional physicians, experienced nurses and staff continue to care for every type of medical need in our community.
As COVID-19 continues to be a risk to the general public, HCA Florida Healthcare remains committed to taking proactive measures to ensure the safety of staff, patients and visitors. We are implementing the following visitor guidelines as a result:
All individuals will be screened upon entry. Anyone who does not meet the screening criteria will not be allowed in the facility.
We encourage loved ones to consider using technology – like FaceTime and other apps - to keep in close contact with patients while they are in the hospital instead of visiting in person.
Employee safety and security:
- All HCA Florida Healthcare colleagues are monitoring their health and have affirmed to follow the HCA Healthcare policy on Communicable Disease Preparation, which mandates that colleagues report to work, by entering the facility, attest that they do not have symptoms of a contagious illness.
- For the safety and security of our patients, caregivers, and volunteers, we are placing a hold on volunteer assignments across HCA Florida Healthcare.
We all can play a part in protecting our own health as well as the health of family members, vital healthcare providers and the community by remembering to practice good hygiene, including these measures:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue
- Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands often, using either soap and water or alcohol-based hand gel for at least 20 seconds
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Avoid large crowds and practice social distancing
- Check the CDC website: CoronaVirus.gov for updated information