Cardiac rehabilitation aims to help you recover from a cardiovascular event ? such as a heart attack or heart failure ? or other debilitating heart condition. This recovery process usually involves physical therapy, exercise and education to rebuild and maintain your heart strength.
Cardiac rehabilitation (rehab) center in St. Petersburg, Florida
The Tampa Bay Heart Institute at HCA Florida Northside Hospital offers cardiac and pulmonary rehab programs.
These medically supervised exercise and education programs help you after you have recently been diagnosed with a heart or lung condition or have undergone a related procedure. Together, our teams personalize these programs to your needs, helping you improve your short- and long-term heart and lung health.
Our cardiac rehab program
As part of our commitment to giving you complete heart care, our cardiac rehab program includes both inpatient and outpatient elements. The program is designed for people who have undergone heart surgery, experienced a cardiac event or received a cardiac diagnosis, such as heart failure.
Phase I: inpatient cardiac rehab
Our phase I inpatient cardiac rehab is managed by all our hospital staff who are involved in your care. Our cardiac rehab team members tailor their services to meet your unique needs. This part of the program includes:
- Dietitians teaching you about heart-healthy diets
- Nurses providing education and instructions about treatments, medications and information you need to go home
- Physical therapists and exercise physiologists helping you exercise and walk, increasing your strength and stamina and preparing you to return home
Phase II: outpatient cardiac rehab
Phase II of our cardiac rehab program is designed to help you after you have returned home following a cardiac event. This part of the program focuses on:
- Recovering after a heart attack, open-heart surgery or cardiac interventions, such as angioplasty and stenting
- Living and coping well with heart failure
- Reducing the potential of additional heart problems through risk-factor modification
- Learning about heart disease treatments and medicines
- Learning how to recognize heart symptoms and when to seek treatment
Medicare and most insurance plans pay for phase II cardiac rehab. However, to participate in our phase II cardiac rehab, you will need a physician's referral. Once admitted, you will be scheduled for up to 36 sessions occurring three times per week.
Outpatient pulmonary rehab
Heart conditions and pulmonary issues often go together. That is why we also offer a pulmonary rehab program. This lets us help you if you have chronic lung disease or other respiratory conditions. We can help you learn to cope physically and emotionally by focusing on:
- Reducing the symptoms of chronic lung problems or diseases
- Increasing strength and endurance
- Educating you about breathing techniques, medicine and treatments
- Reducing feelings of anxiety and depression related to your diagnosis or condition
To participate in our pulmonary rehab, you will need a physician's referral. Once admitted, we will schedule you for sessions that occur twice per week for up to 36 sessions.
Medicare and most insurance plans pay for pulmonary rehab.
Coming to our cardiac and pulmonary rehab center
Our address is:
Medical Office Plaza
6006 49th St. North, Suite 110
St. Petersburg, FL 33709
Looking for a Location?
Our Cardiac rehabilitation Locations