Weight loss surgery
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is performed on patients with obesity. There are several types of bariatric procedures, but all focus on making modifications to the digestive system with the goal of significant weight loss.
Weight loss surgery center in Gainesville, Florida
If you have struggled with obesity for years, don't lose hope. Our weight loss doctors are here to help find the right path to a healthier lifestyle.
For more than 35 years, the physicians and staff at HCA Florida Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery Center have provided care for patients who choose weight loss surgery to help them achieve a healthy life. Our experienced bariatric surgeons, dietitians, nurses and bariatric coordinator will help you walk through your entire weight loss journey. We will be available to answer your questions and facilitate your care.
HCA Florida Healthcare weight loss surgery
Watch this informational video to learn more about what weight loss surgery is and how it can improve your overall health. You will learn about the causes and effects of obesity, types of surgeries and their benefits, as well as what you can expect before, during and after a procedure.
Get started with your weight loss journey
Make an appointment or learn more about our weight loss surgeons.
Make an appointment or learn more about our weight loss surgeons.
Our bariatric services
Our weight loss doctors perform a range of bariatric procedures, most of which are minimally invasive. Our center is accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). Centers with this accreditation must meet rigorous quality indicators and outcomes to make sure high quality care is provided to patients. We are also recognized and participate in the bariatric networks with many insurance companies.
Understanding bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery, also commonly referred to as weight loss surgery, is generally performed for patients struggling with obesity. There are several types of bariatric surgery, but they all aim to decrease food intake with the goal of weight loss.
Types of weight loss surgery
Our bariatric surgeons perform the following surgeries:
- Adjustable gastric banding - Also referred to as Lap-Band®, this procedure is a minimally invasive procedure that places a silicone band around your upper stomach to help limit your food intake and promote a feeling of fullness.
- Sleeve gastrectomy - Also referred to as gastric sleeve, this procedure reduces the size of the stomach by creating a stomach “sleeve” about the size of a banana. The rest of the stomach is permanently removed. This facilitates weight loss by restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold.
- Gastric bypass - Also referred to as Roux-en-Y, this procedure reduces the stomach size and connects it directly to the small intestine. This reduces the amount of food that can be consumed and lets food bypass the majority of the stomach and part of the small intestine.
- Revisional bariatric surgery - This surgery aims to help you achieve significant weight loss if a previous bariatric procedure has not been successful. This can include band over bypass.
We also encourage you to talk to your doctor about our robot-assisted weight loss procedures. These techniques let us offer weight loss surgery with reduced recovery times and less scarring.
Endoscopic weight loss procedures
Our advanced therapeutic gastroenterologist performs the following endoscopic weight loss procedures:
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty – A non-invasive procedure performed endoscopically using a flexible scope through the mouth, the same way as a standard out patient scope procedure. A specialized device is used through this scope, placing permanent sutures to narrow the stomach. Most patients are discharged the same day without any incisions or puncture sites.
- Transoral outlet reduction – This procedure is available for someone who has had gastric bypass surgery in the past and has experienced a significant weight regain. The goal of this outpatient endoscopic procedure is to reduce the size of the patient's stomach outlet and pouch back to its original postoperative state.
Candidates for weight loss surgery
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years old or older
- Have one of the following:
- BMI of 30* (for adjustable gastric band surgery only) with at least one medical condition associated with obesity (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.)
- BMI of 35 with at least one medical condition associated with obesity
- BMI greater than 40
- Have previously unsuccessful weight loss attempts
- Be willing to make major changes in eating habits and lifestyle
- Sign an informed consent form
- Commit to regularly scheduled follow-up visits
*The FDA has recently approved expanded use of the gastric banding for obese adults with a minimum BMI of 30 and at least one medical condition associated with obesity. Please check with your insurance provider to confirm coverage.
Ask a Doc - Endoscopic Weight Loss Procedures
Gastroenterologist Dr. Yaseen Perbtani. Dr. Perbtani joined us for an episode of "Ask a Doc" on Facebook Live (@HCAFloridaNorthFloridaHospital) to discuss our new endoscopic weight loss procedures, and how these minimally invasive offerings can help patients struggling with weight loss.
Learn more about weight loss surgery
At HCA Florida Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery Center, we want our patients to have as much information and support as possible — before and after surgery.
Free weight loss surgery orientation sessions
At our weight loss surgery center, we want our patients to have as much information and support as possible. This philosophy applies to the time prior to surgery when patients are learning about their options, and it applies in the months following surgery. As a result, one of the mandatory steps in your weight loss journey is participating in education prior to surgery. Join us from the comfort of your home by watching our on demand webinar or call the Center at (352) 331-5255 to register for one of our in-person sessions. To continue this educational process, we also offer support sessions for patients following surgery.
Coming to our weight loss clinic
Our weight loss center is located on the campus of North Florida Hospital in the Medical Arts Building.
6400 Newberry Rd.
Gainesville, FL 32605(352) 331-5255
We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm.
Looking for another location?
The Healthy Living Blog
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.