Gastroenterology is the field of medicine relating to the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract. Gastroenterologists focus on the treatment of diseases of the digestive system, this includes a range of organs starting at the mouth and ending at the rectum.
Gastroenterologists in Gainesville
We want to identify the cause of your digestive discomfort and provide treatments to restore your quality of life.
At HCA Florida North Florida Hospital, we provide the care you need to maintain your gastrointestinal (GI) health. Our digestive health specialists treat all types of GI conditions and symptoms, including heartburn and acid reflux.
In addition to comprehensive diagnostic procedures and treatments, our hospital is home to the North Florida Endoscopy Center. This specialized hospital unit offers patients a seamless, quality experience when undergoing a same-day endoscopy procedure.
Gastrointestinal conditions we treat
Because the digestive tract includes several organs, our GI doctors offer treatment for a wide range of GI conditions patients may experience, including:
- Anal fissure
- Barrett's esophagus
- Candida esophagitis
- Celiac disease
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Crohn's disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Hiatal hernia
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Peptic ulcers
- Ulcerative colitis
Complex GI program
Our Complex GI program at HCA Florida North Florida Hospital has been recognized by Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, as a Signature Program. This is the first signature program in the state of Florida for Sarah Cannon. The Sarah Cannon Signature Program internally recognizes and celebrates programs that have taken significant steps to provide a higher quality of care to the patients they serve. Achievement of the Signature Program recognition speaks to the collective commitment of our physicians, nurses, oncology nurse navigators and administrators focused on continually improving patient-centered care.
Endoscopic bariatric therapy EBT
Endoscopic bariatric therapy (EBT) has been shown to be a reliable choice for individuals who have chosen not to undergo weight loss surgery and those who have undergone such surgery but are presently coping with weight regain.
Typically conducted on an outpatient basis, these endoscopic procedures allow patients to resume their normal routines within days after the treatments:
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) — With the use of a specialized device called the "overstitch," we are able to administer approximately five to seven full-thickness sutures to decrease the size of your stomach. This procedure does not involve the removal of any portion of the stomach, which is different than the surgical approach called sleeve gastrectomy.
- Endoscopic transoral outlet reduction (TOR) — This procedure is for weight regain after gastric bypass surgery. Due to scar tissue and adhesions, a traditional bariatric surgery revision can sometimes be extremely challenging. An endoscopic bariatric revision decreases these potential risks.
Third space endoscopy
Advanced gastrointestinal procedures we perform
Our HCA Florida North Florida Hospital team specializes in providing some of the most cutting-edge techniques in the gastrointestinal clinical space. This means you can receive the highest level of care closer to home. We perform:
- Third space endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in native and altered surgical anatomy
- Diagnostic and interventional endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Endoscopic bariatrics
- Endoscopic management of bariatric complications
- Advanced endoscopic management of bleeding
- Advanced endoscopic tissue resection
- Luminal stenting
- Additional endoscopic interventions
- Endoscopic Zenker's diverticulum treatment
Our digestive health services and treatments
Our specialists work with you to determine the most effective treatment plan to restore your GI health.
Gastrointestinal imaging and testing
Since all of the organs of the GI system are internal, we use specialized diagnostic procedures to identify diseases and evaluate function. We perform the following GI screenings and tests:
- Bravo pH testing
- Capsule endoscopy
- Small bowel enteroscopy
- Upper GI endoscopy
Our GI surgeons offer surgical treatment options for digestive health conditions, including:
- Complex biliary tract surgery
- Complex liver and pancreatic surgeries
- Liver resection
- Surgical oncology, including abdominal surgery and treatment for peritoneal carcinomatosis
- Whipple procedure
GI cancer care
Our hospital offers a comprehensive cancer care program to provide diagnostic testing and treatment for patients with GI cancer. We treat:
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Small and large intestinal cancer
- Stomach cancer
North Florida Endoscopy Center
North Florida Endoscopy Center hosts experienced gastroenterologists who provide quality care for patients undergoing an endoscopic procedure. The gastroenterologists work alongside registered nurses, endoscopy technologists and support staff who work hard to facilitate your care before, during and after your endoscopy.
For more information, please call (352) 333-5900. We are open Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 4:30pm.
Endoscopy patient instructions
Your physician will give instructions about when to arrive on the day of your procedure. We ask you not to eat or drink anything after the time provided during your preadmission visit. On the morning of your procedure, take only the medications your doctor instructed you to.
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing that is easy to take on and off. Please leave any valuables at home. Do not wear eye makeup or nail polish.
You will need to arrange for a responsible party to drive you home after the endoscopy. You will not be allowed to drive yourself. If a responsible party is not available to take you home, your doctor will cancel the procedure. You may only take a taxi or car service if someone can ride with you.
Due to limited space in our waiting area, we ask you to bring no more than two support people.
Looking for another location?