Gastroenterology is the field of medicine relating to the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract. Gastroenterologists focus on the treatment of diseases of the digestive system, this includes a range of organs starting at the mouth and ending at the rectum.
Gastrointestinal (GI) doctors in Okeechobee, Florida
When you need comprehensive care for your GI symptoms, our gastroenterology specialists are here for you.
At HCA Florida Raulerson Hospital, our physicians are trained to detect, diagnose and treat conditions affecting the GI tract. No matter what GI symptoms you may be experiencing, our team works together to create a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Looking for a location?
Digestive health conditions we treat
Our team is able to diagnose, treat and provide education and lifestyle change guidance for conditions such as:
- Crohn's disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative colitis
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
We also treat GERD, also known as acid reflux, which occurs when stomach acid and contents back up frequently into the esophagus. This disorder often leads to heartburn. However, if left untreated, acid reflux can lead to ulcers, esophageal cancer or other serious health conditions.
GERD can cause a burning sensation and other symptoms, which include:
- Asthma, wheezing or chronic bronchitis
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Chest pain
- Chronic sore throat or cough
- Difficulty sleeping while lying flat or after eating
- Difficulty swallowing food
- Regurgitation of fluid or food into the throat or mouth
- Suddenly waking from sleep to find yourself choking, coughing or unable to breathe well
Gastroenterology services and treatments
Our digestive disease center offers specialized services for digestive health care.
Our diagnostics and procedures
Many of our services, treatments and procedures consist of some form of endoscopy, which does not require surgery. Some of these diagnostics and procedures include:
- Capsule-based pH monitoring — Your doctor may use this method to evaluate any need for a surgical procedure.
- Colonoscopy — This is the most common method used to screen and help detect early signs of colorectal cancer.
- Endoscopic GI treatments — A gastroenterologist or surgeon uses an endoscope to diagnose and treat various problems of the GI tract.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) — Your physician is able to view any possible stones, tumors or narrowed bowel ducts or segments.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) — This procedure allows for quick diagnosis, cancer stage identification and evaluation of masses, cysts or other health conditions.
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) — This is used to treat GI bleeding, repair ulcers, allow for long-term feeding and stretch narrowed areas of the GI tract.
- Video capsule endoscopy (VCE) — This enables your physician to identify sources of obscure GI bleeding and diagnose diseases, such as Crohn's disease.
We also use nuclear medicine to diagnose certain GI conditions. Nuclear medicine procedures are safe and painless and use a small amount of radioactive medicine to visualize organ function and structure.
After a diagnosis is made, our team works together to create a care plan tailored to your needs.
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.