Emergency care is the treatment of emergent medical conditions. It is generally performed in an emergency room, but can also refer to treatment in an ambulance. In addition to life-threatening conditions, emergency medicine physicians may treat patients with injuries or infections.
Emergency care in Osceola County
At HCA Florida Osceola Hospital, our 24/7 emergency room (ER) team is experienced in treating a wide range of conditions, from broken arms to heart attacks.
Our goal is to ensure we provide high-quality, convenient care to the residents of Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Poinciana, Celebration and Orlando. Our ER features specialized trauma, pediatric, heart and stroke care.
Our emergency care treatments and services
We offer high-quality emergency treatment for various conditions and strive for quick ER wait times to get you the care you need, fast.
Features of our emergency room
Our emergency department features:
- 24/7 obstetrician coverage
- A central monitoring and lifesaving system that syncs with local emergency medical services (EMS) responders; the advanced technology transmits EMS electrocardiogram (EKGs) directly to our ER for review before patients arrive
- Board-certified ER physicians
- Experienced nursing team with advanced emergency certification in related areas, such as the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale
- Separate behavioral health intake unit
Certified by the Florida Department of Health, our Level II Trauma Center is equipped with a trauma resuscitation room. We also provide 24/7 in-house coverage by a trauma surgeon, on-site anesthesia staff, surgical services teams and trauma-trained nurses.
Our Pediatric ER offers 24/7 emergency services for children of all ages. We are staffed by pediatricians, nurses and clinical experts who specialize in acute illnesses, injuries and serious chronic health conditions. Our comfortable and kid-friendly environment is located separate from the adult emergency department.
Emergency care for heart attacks
Patients coming to our ER with heart attack symptoms receive prompt, expert heart care. Our emergency physicians quickly diagnose a heart attack and begin lifesaving treatment.
We are also anaccredited Chest Pain Center with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. This means we are a leader in restoring blood flow during the most common and dangerous types of heart attacks. It is a recognition that we provide treatment for these events faster than the national average treatment times.
Emergency care for strokes
We provide the only Comprehensive Stroke Center in Osceola County and an award-winning recognition for consistent stroke quality treatment. This designation means our program complies with the highest national standards for safety and quality care in the rapid response and treatment of acute stroke patients.
Our emergency room wait times
When it comes to emergency care, our goal is to continually work toward enhancing the care you receive, while reducing our wait times. This ensures you get the care you need, when you need it most.
Our wait times are updated every 30 minutes and are available on our website and digital screens on roadside billboards throughout the region.
To find out the wait times of the HCA Florida emergency room nearest to you, check the top of our website or text "ER" to 32222.
Note: Message and data rates may apply. Emergency room wait times are approximate and provided for informational purposes only.
When to go to the emergency room
We understand it can be hard to know what type of medical care you need, like whether you should go to the emergency room or wait for your doctor's office to open.
Conditions that may require emergency care
We want you to feel secure about your choice for care, which is why we've created a list of symptoms that may indicate you need to visit the emergency room:
- Back pain, when it is unbearable or accompanied by fever, numbness, weakness, confusion, slurred speech, vision loss or loss of control over bladder or bowels
- Broken bones, when the pain is severe or there is a visible deformity
- Chest pain, when it is crushing or squeezing and accompanied by other heart attack symptoms, such as shortness of breath or nausea
- Concussion, when you have lost consciousness, even briefly, or experience amnesia, vomiting, slurred speech or a seizure
- Flu, when symptoms become severe, such as having trouble breathing, vomiting uncontrollably or becoming dehydrated
- Side pain, when it is severe and occurs in the lower right stomach, side or back or is accompanied by fever, nausea, diarrhea or blood in the urine
- Stomach pain, when accompanied by a hard or tender stomach, nausea, shortness of breath, fever or irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing, when breathing stops, is noisy or high-pitched and comes with pain in the chest or severe shortness of breath
If you are unsure if your symptoms require an emergency room visit, you can speak to a nurse 24/7 by calling our Consult-A-Nurse® line.
What to expect at the emergency room
When you get to the emergency room, one of our triage nurses will assess your symptoms and vital signs. Next, a registration clerk will collect your insurance card (if available) and other information.
We medically screen, evaluate and stabilize all patients — whether or not they have insurance or are able to pay.
Anyone who has severe, life-threatening illnesses or injuries will be treated first. Everyone else will be treated in the order they arrive.
Before discharge, we encourage you to ask our emergency care teams any questions you have. It is also useful for you to keep all of your paperwork, discharge information and medicines or prescriptions together after you leave the emergency room.
What to bring to the emergency room
When coming to the emergency room, we recommend you bring:
- A list of medicines you currently take
- A list of known allergies
- Copies of results from recent medical tests, if available
- Personal care preferences and restrictions
- A responsible adult or phone number for someone to contact
The Healthy Living Blog
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.
Looking for another location?