Physical rehabilitation services in Sanford, Florida
Physical rehabilitation can be an important component of recovering from some surgeries and health conditions.
That's why HCA Florida Lake Monroe Hospital provides comprehensive inpatient therapy services through The Rehabilitation Center. Here, we provide physical, occupational and speech therapy services to help patients recover and regain their quality of life after a surgery, illness or injury.
Additionally, our hospital provides an outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program. This 12-week program offers continued support for patients recovering from cardiovascular surgeries and events.
Candidates for rehabilitation
Most of the patients in our acute care rehabilitation unit are managing or recovering from conditions or surgeries such as:
- Brain injuries
- Cardiopulmonary conditions or surgeries
- Chronic pain
- Congenital deformities
- Fractures of femur (hip fractures)
- Major multiple traumas
- Medically complex conditions
- Neurological disorders, including multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease, Guillain-Barré syndrome, polyneuropathy, muscular dystrophy and Parkinson’s disease
- Orthopedic surgeries, including joint replacements
- Seronegative arteriopathies
- Severe burns
- Spinal cord surgeries or injuries
- Systemic vasculitis with joint inflammation
Our inpatient physical rehabilitation center
At The Rehabilitation Center, we provide specialized therapies in a relaxing, hospital-based environment.
Comprehensive and accredited rehabilitative care
We are proud to be the first comprehensive medical rehabilitation unit in Seminole County. Through acute rehabilitative care, we help patients minimize and even overcome physical or cognitive disabilities caused by injuries or health conditions. Our interdisciplinary team works with each patient to return them to the highest possible level of independence.
This commitment to high-quality inpatient rehabilitative care has earned us accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities International (CARF International).
Features of our acute care facility
When it comes to rehabilitation after illness or injury, acute care rehabilitation facilities hold advantages over other options, such as skilled nursing and nursing home care. For example, our inpatient acute care facility offers:
- 22 private rooms
- 24/7 access to specially trained nurses
- A full continuum of rehabilitation therapies and programs
- A minimum requirement of three hours of therapy per day, five days per week
- A gym, advanced rehabilitation technology and an activity of daily living suite
- Convenient access to advanced medical services
- Frequent visits by a rehabilitation physician, most often a physiatrist
- Rehabilitative care plans customized to each patient's goals and needs
- Treatment from a multidisciplinary, collaborative team of specialists
Individualized therapy programs
Following the evaluation period, a patient’s personalized rehabilitation program is established by the patient, their family and our interdisciplinary team. We know that a patient’s needs change as they make progress. That’s why each patient’s program may be reevaluated by themselves, their family or the team on a weekly, biweekly or as-needed basis.
On average, patients stay in inpatient rehabilitation for 12 to 13 days. However, the duration of each patient’s stay is dependent on their specific needs and rate of progress.
Patients of The Rehabilitation Center receive at least three hours of therapy, five days per week. Typically, this involves 90 minutes of physical therapy and 90 minutes of occupational therapy each day. Some patients also receive speech therapy. Therapy sessions may include exercises, gait training, training in the areas of grooming, hygiene and dressing and/or other activities.
Our rehabilitation specialists
Our rehabilitation specialists have years of experience in specialized fields and with unique treatment techniques. They work as a team to meet our patients' physical, cognitive and emotional needs.
This interdisciplinary team includes:
- Case managers
- Certified rehabilitation nurses
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Registered dietitians
- Rehabilitation physicians
- Rehabilitation psychologists
- Respiratory therapists
- Social workers
- Speech-language pathologists
Rehabilitation therapy referrals
Rehabilitation requires a referral, which is coordinated by our hospital's case manager. A rehabilitation clinical liaison reviews a patient's medical history and collaborates with the patient, their physicians, nurses and/or caregivers to determine if the patient meets the criteria for admission.
Our program accepts patients coming from:
- Assisted living facilities
- Emergency rooms
- Long-term acute care facilities
- Skilled nursing facilities
Rehabilitation therapy admissions
To be admitted to The Rehabilitation Center, the patient must experience one or more of the conditions we listed above and meet the following criteria:
- The patient requires medical supervision by a physician who is specially trained in rehabilitation medicine.
- The patient is medically stable and has the potential to participate in three hours of therapy per day, at least five days per week.
- The patient requires the specialized care of a multidisciplinary team.
- The patient can follow the directions needed to participate in the program.
- The patient has a plan for discharge involving family or a support network.
When the specific criteria for admission to inpatient rehabilitation are met, rehabilitation is a covered service by Medicare, Medicaid and most insurance companies. Most insurance companies require prior authorization before admission.
What to bring to our rehabilitation center
Once admitted to The Rehabilitation Center, patients should bring the following items with them:
- Comfortable walking shoes, such as sneakers
- Personal care items for grooming and self-care
- Several sets of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes, including a light jacket or cardigan
We provide Wi-Fi, and some patients choose to bring their laptops and tablets.
Visitation and family involvement
We believe that family involvement in the rehabilitation process aids in successful outcomes for patients. That's why we encourage families to participate in:
- Communication with the care team
- Education and training sessions to assist with the transition from our facility to home
- Recreational activities
Our standard visiting hours are from 4:00pm to 8:00pm. These hours, however, are flexible to meet patient and family needs.
The Rehabilitation Center is conveniently located on the second floor of HCA Florida Lake Monroe Hospital. Free parking is available.
If you would like to learn more about our rehabilitation services, obtain a referral or schedule a tour of our inpatient facility, please call The Rehabilitation Center at (407) 833-7576.
Outpatient cardiac rehabilitation
Our hospital also provides outpatient cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation.
Our cardiac rehabilitation program
Our 12-week outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program helps patients who are recovering from heart and lung conditions and surgeries. Through this program, we provide continued support, education and exercise training to optimize patients' cardiovascular and respiratory health.
Our dedication to specialized cardiac and respiratory rehabilitation has earned our program certification by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
Looking for another location?
Our Inpatient physical rehabilitation Locations