If you are motivated to donate your time and talents, we invite you to join the dedicated volunteers at HCA Florida Englewood Hospital in Englewood, FL.
Come volunteer in Florida, The Sunshine State
Volunteers help us achieve our hospital’s goal to provide high quality, cost-effective healthcare services and to promote these services in the community.
Ways you can make a difference
You don't need special skills to become a volunteer. Every volunteer brings their interests, talents and experience to our volunteer program, playing a unique and important role.
Each prospective volunteer is interviewed, and together we determine where your interests and skills best fit. Once you have chosen your service area, you will receive a thorough orientation and on-the-job training. Volunteers are assigned to work one four-hour shift per week, and many of our dedicated volunteers work more frequently.
Benefits of volunteering
The benefit of volunteering is a two-way street. Current research indicates volunteering is good for your health. People who volunteer live longer, function better and have lower rates of depression. For senior volunteers, the benefits are even more remarkable. But you don't have to take our word for it, read The Health Benefits of Volunteering from the Corporation for National & Community Service.
For “volunteens”, your volunteer hours qualify for service hours for Bright Futures.
Who can volunteer?
Our volunteers come from all walks of life, bringing a variety of skills and abilities to help improve the lives of others. Volunteers at HCA Florida Englewood Hospital in Englewood, Florida, include retirees, professionals, former patients, homemakers, military personnel and students who share a common goal: helping others.
For students, we offer convenient weekend and after-school hours.
Do you know your volunteer personality type?
Rewarding volunteer opportunities
Volunteers perform a wide range of duties in various areas of the hospital, including:
- Courtesy cart drivers
- Family and patient waiting liaison
- Information desks
- Marketing and community programs
- Emergency room assistants
- Patient comfort/care areas
- Food and nutrition services
- Escort/courier — transporting and escorting patients, delivery and errands
- Pet therapy
- Clerical/office assistants
- Outpatient rehab assistant
- Inpatient nursing unit assistants
Whatever it is you enjoy doing, there’s a way for you to help others as a volunteer.
Requirements for volunteering
HCA Florida Englewood Hospital’s volunteer program requires a weekly minimum commitment of four (4) hours per week. Our caregivers count on our volunteers being here as scheduled to provide our patients and guests with the best service possible.
- All volunteers must be tested for tuberculosis (TB) before working their first shift. This requires two visits to the employee health nurse — first to get the injection, then 48 hours later to read the results. Once the initial test is complete, a required annual screening questionnaire is completed.
- All volunteers must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide a copy of their card for proof. We do accept religious and/or medical waivers and these must be approved by the hospital board.
- All volunteers must be vaccinated for influenza. We offer flu vaccines free of charge here at the hospital at the beginning of each flu season, however, we do not offer the heavy dose flu vaccine. If you choose not to get the flu vaccine, you must wear a mask at all times during flu season (October through April).
Take the next step to volunteer
HCA Florida Englewood Hospital is accepting new volunteers at this time. Application packets are available at the Hospital.