Labor and delivery in Port St. Lucie, Florida
There is no greater joy than the very moment when your newborn is put into your arms.
At The Birthing Center at HCA Florida St. Lucie Hospital, we have helped families welcome their babies for more than 20 years. When you choose The Birthing Center in St. Lucie County, Florida, your care and your baby's birth will be guided by a knowledgeable and caring maternity team. We help you navigate the delicate process of labor and birth, providing a safe, healthy experience for both you and your baby.
Comprehensive maternity services
Our team understands the need for expectant mothers to have an experienced medical team assisting before, during and after childbirth.
This is why we provide care for all of your needs, helping you have a safe pregnancy and birthing experience. In fact, we are able to offer continuity and coordination of care beginning in our prenatal program and continuing all the way through our family-centered services after your baby's birth.
Our high ratings in patient safety and patient satisfaction recognize our commitment to do what’s best for our patients, their families and the communities in which we all live and work.
Note: There are currently temporary changes to tours and visitation as we focus on the health and safety of our patients and caregivers.
We believe you feel more empowered in your pregnancy journey when you feel like you know what to expect. For this reason, we provide maternity classes to help you prepare for labor, birth, recovery and newborn care.
Dedicated obstetrics ER
Our hospital offers the St. Lucie and Martin County communities a designated obstetrics (OB) ER for patients requiring emergency obstetric and pre-term care at any time. The OB ER is staffed by an OB/GYN and is supported by anesthesiology and neonatology providers on the premises. The team is immediately available to address the patient's clinical needs.
Planned and unplanned C-sections
If you have a scheduled C-section, or if a C-section becomes necessary as labor progresses, our dedicated operating room is located within the unit. This means we can quickly tailor your care to both your needs and your baby's needs during delivery.
We perform "gentle C-sections," meaning we use a clear drape so moms can feel like they are a part of the delivery experience, even when it needs to be a C-section. We also allow new mothers to practice skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth in the operating room.
Neonatal intensive care
In the case of a high-risk pregnancy or if your newborn requires a higher level of care, our hospital has a strong partnership with the Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at HCA Florida Lawnwood Hospital, our sister hospital. Here, the neonatal intensive care team specializes in full-service care for newborns.
This hospital is only a short drive up the coast, and you can expect the same high level of family-centered care as you would at our hospital.
After your baby is born, we provide family-centered postpartum care and support to help you begin bonding with your newborn and recovering from birth. Our team is here to support you however we can, including helping you learn to breastfeed, if you wish.
Postpartum visiting hours
During this time, family and friends are welcome to come visit. We support open visitation hours; however, we ask you to remember that proper rest for you and your baby are essential.
If you chose to take advantage of our newborn photography service, you may view your newborn's photos here.
More about The Birth Center
The Birthing Center offers a state-of-the-art obstetrics unit. This unit is specifically designed with the needs of you and your baby in mind.
The Birthing Center’s amenities
We offer extensive services for all types of childbirth experiences, including natural childbirths and scheduled C-sections.
Additionally, we offer the following amenities and services:
- Flexibility with labor choices, including midwifery support
- Wireless monitoring system to monitor both mom and baby, allowing mom to walk around during labor
- Anesthesia services available 24/7
- Private birthing and mother-baby suites that use the latest technology and equipment
- Personalized attention and compassionate care, including a special meal, music therapy and aromatherapy
- Surgical suite within our unit for planned and unplanned C-sections
- Breastfeeding assistance through a lactation consultant
- Breastfeeding pumps and supplies
- Experienced labor and postpartum registered nurses on staff
- State-of-the-art infant security system and locked unit
Our maternity suites
Our private birthing suites and mother-baby suites offer the following services:
- Accommodations for a loved one to stay in your room
- Large TVs
- Sound system in the labor rooms
- Specialty food menus for the duration of your stay
- Take home pizza meal for the first night at home
Our multidisciplinary childbirth services team
We offer a multispecialty childbirth care team to ensure you and your baby receive the care and support you need. Our staff includes:
- Labor nurses certified in fetal monitoring by the Association of Women's Health Obstetrics and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- Board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists (OB/GYNs) and neonatologists
- Certified neonatal nurses
- Anesthesiologists skilled in labor and delivery pain management
- Lactation consultants
- Childbirth educators
Breastfeeding basics at Lawnwood Hospital & St. Lucie Hospital
Safe maternity care during COVID 19 at St. Lucie Hospital
Looking for another location?
The Healthy Living Blog
Fresh knowledge and insights in and around healthcare industry.