Mental health services in Pensacola
At HCA Florida West Hospital, we recognize the importance of good mental health.
We know how vital it is to nurture not just your physical well-being but your mental wellbeing too. Our psychiatrists and physicians specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of various mental health conditions. With services like mental health evaluations, group therapy and emergency behavioral health care, we are prepared to treat a range of conditions. Our intake team is available 24/7 to provide assessments in a specialized unit within the emergency room (ER) at HCA Florida West Hospital.
This is the lead-in copy that can provide a reinforcing statement.
Our mental health services
Our psychiatrists provide inpatient and outpatient mental health care options at HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services, our behavioral health center.
Adult mental health services
It's our goal to empower you to manage your mental health and take control of your life. We offer a wide range of services to accomplish this goal. Some of our evidence-based models include:
- Emergency evaluations
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Inpatient mental health care
- Outpatient mental health care
- Senior mental health care
We also provide a variety of treatments to support each patient's goals and needs. Our mental health treatments include:
- Educational groups
- Family support/education group
- Group therapy
- Individual therapy
- Medication management
- Music, dance, reminiscence and crafts
- Nursing therapy
- Pastoral services, including counseling
- Pet therapy
Inpatient mental health services
Our behavioral health center includes a wide range of inpatient mental health treatments. Our intake team is available 24/7 to treat our patients and provide assessments.
Inpatient admission process
The inpatient admission process begins with a phone call. We are available 24/7 and can provide emergency evaluations upon request. The admission process is as follows:
- The referral source calls our intake department at (850) 494-5070.
- Our intake staff will review the case with the psychiatrist.
- The psychiatrist makes a decision to admit based off age (18 years old or older) and a primary behavioral health diagnosis.
- The patient and/or referral source is informed of the psychiatrist's decision.
- Admission is coordinated by our intake staff.
Inpatient mental health evaluation
We perform a comprehensive evaluation to determine the most efficient treatment for each patient. Our assessment process includes:
- Nursing assessment
- Medical history and physical
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Psychosocial evaluation
- Activities assessment
- Neuropsychological evaluation (when ordered by psychiatrist)
Inpatient discharge process
Discharge planning includes working with community resources to secure the next level of care for the patient at discharge. This may include area outpatient programs and providers or another inpatient provider who can offer a longer course of care.
Emergency behavioral health care
When you need help, we're here. Emergency admissions to HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services are available 24/7. Patients can be referred to HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services by mental health professionals, other physicians, community agencies, employers, the judicial system, clergy, educators, families, friends and self. The Assistance and Referral Program begins with a telephone call to our intake department.
For emergency behavioral health admissions, call (850) 494-5000.
Our behavioral health emergency services include:
- Immediate response: Trained and experienced mental health professionals are available around the clock at HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services.
- Crisis intervention: The assistance and referral staff can mediate a crisis and put you and your doctor in touch with qualified professionals who are on call to assist you right away.
- Assessment: One-on-one assessment for the patient and/or family is available through HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services Assistance and Referral Program. A wide range of professionals including psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists and counselors will be available to provide additional assessment if needed.
- Evaluation: The Assistance and Referral Program can provide the necessary services and personnel to effectively determine your medical needs and will provide you and your doctor with a report of findings and resolution.
- Facilitated admission: For patients meeting HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services' admission criteria, the program will help facilitate admission, smoothing the transition to treatment and minimizing paperwork and delays.
- Assisted referrals: Our qualified staff will evaluate the patient and their family's needs and make arrangements for appropriate referrals, such as to a psychologist, psychiatrist, nursing home, psychiatric facility or medical doctor. Your doctor will keep you updated throughout the process.
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services offers electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). ECT is a valuable, safe and effective treatment that we offer on an inpatient and outpatient basis. It is one of the fastest ways to relieve symptoms in patients with severe depression, suicidal thoughts, mania and other mental illnesses.
Patients who may be candidates for electroconvulsive therapy will receive a referral from a trained treatment professional. Once the referral is made, the team at HCA Florida Healthcare West Mental Services will work with the patient and their loved ones to develop an individualized care plan.
Our ECT services include:
- Consultation with psychiatrist
- Extensive education and patient/family support
- Inpatient and outpatient options
- Patient-centered approach to treatment
For more information about ECT or to make a referral, please call (850) 494-3694.
Outpatient behavioral health care
We are proud to offer Transitions, which includes two outpatient behavioral health programs to support patients on their paths to wellness. Transitions is tailored to meet each patient's specific needs in an outpatient setting and includes our Partial Hospitalization Program and our Intensive Outpatient Program.
Adult Substance Use Disorder Program
Our Adult Substance Use Disorder Intensive Outpatient Program helps you develop effective strategies for achieving and maintaining sobriety by learning new ways to cope with addiction. Group sessions use a 12-step recovery model while encouraging family education and active participation. All sessions are focused on identifying and treating situational stressors to facilitate recovery.
The Adult Substance Use Disorder Intensive Outpatient Program is designed for people who:
- Are 18 years old or older
- Are having difficulty achieving and maintaining sobriety
- Are stepping-down from a higher level of care
- Need support to achieve sobriety
- Want to establish a support system
Program components include:
- Intensive group therapy
- Random drug screenings
- Attendance in 12-step meetings
- Individual and family sessions
- Psychiatric consultation
The hours for this program are:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 4:15pm to 7:15pm
The address for this program is:
HCA Florida West Florida Hospital Outpatient Programs
2191 E. Johnson Ave.
Pensacola, FL 32514
For referrals, assessment and questions please call (850) 494-5495.
Senior behavioral health care
We are also pleased to provide Reflections, the area’s only inpatient senior behavioral health program. This program consists of 18 beds for adults 65 years or older.
Our goal is to empower patients to manage their mental health conditions. We believe that these conditions are treatable, and patients are most successful with a team approach. Our treatment team includes psychiatrists, nurses, counselors, case managers, expressive therapists and dietitians.
Read our blogs to learn about preventive care and ways you can take charge of your health and well-being.
Looking for another location?