The neonatal intensive care unit provides critical care to newborns who are ill or premature. Many factors may lead to a newborn being admitted to the NICU, including low birth weight or complications during delivery. The NICU staff works closely with parents to develop a treatment plan for their newborn.
Neonatal intensive care unit in Tallahassee, Florida
When your new baby needs extra care, we have specialized support.
At HCA Florida Capital Hospital, our 10-bed Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is staffed by a dedicated team committed to the improved health of your new baby. With 24/7 services available, your baby will always have individualized attention.
Learn more about our related specialties.
Conditions that require NICU care
Every baby is different, and we recognize the needs of newborns vary. Some of the conditions we commonly treat in the NICU include:
- Birth abnormalities
- Blood sugar complications
- Diabetes passed in utero
- Down syndrome
- Exposure to drugs in utero
- Low birth weight
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome
- Premature birth
- Respiratory issues
- Spina bifida
- Structural heart issues
Neonatal ICU services we provide
Should your newborn need the additional, specialized care of our NICU, we have a multidisciplinary team that caters to you and your baby's every need.
Features of our NICU
Our Level II NICU provides an elevated standard of care. Our wide spectrum of services and specialists are at your disposal, as we work tirelessly to ensure you and your baby are as healthy as possible.
The specialists that care for your baby in our NICU include:
- 24/7 onsite respiratory therapist
- Board-certified neonatologists and pediatricians
- Dedicated case manager
- Lactation consultants
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Registered nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- Speech therapists trained in infant feeding
Our NICU is equipped to handle the diverse needs that your baby may require, with numerous amenities designed to keep your family comfortable. Our range of services and amenities include:
- Cameras for each baby's isolette
- Continuous cardiorespiratory monitoring
- Dedicated lactation space
- Highly-secured area with state-of-the art infant security
- Neonatal ventilators for respiratory support
- Nutritional support
- Pacifier activated lullaby system
- Parent-baby classes
- Radiology services
- Support committee, including grief counseling, if needed
Looking for a location?