The Orange Park Medical Center’s Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs are dedicated to training clinicians, scholars, educators by providing a supportive and diverse environment to foster scholarly activities and provide support in all phases of conception and implementation of projects.
Orange Park Medical Center has developed a research curriculum to provide residents knowledge of the basic principles of research and research design, developing study protocols to elevate their involvement in research along with their understanding of the IRB research process. We seek to provide opportunities for residents to develop competence in Experimental and Qualitative research and disseminate their findings, while fostering a culture of inquiry.
Orange Park Medical Center Graduate Medical Education and HCA Healthcare affiliation work cohesively to provide research education, resource navigation and data management support to residents and fellows across the institution. Participation in Scholarly Activity enhances performance by promoting the practice of evidence-based medicine and quality patient care, providing skills for lifelong learning, and supporting critical thinking skills.
Upon program completion, resident physicians should:
- Exhibit knowledge of the process of designing and conducting clinical research investigations, especially the process of formulating and answering a research question
- Demonstrate knowledge of research designs, sampling strategies, data analytic techniques and data management principles
- Generate answerable research questions and use data support to gather information
- Gain an understanding of the scientific method by designing and writing a research protocol
- Learn about the ethics of research, including informed consent, patient privacy and the regulatory approval process by obtaining necessary approval for the conduct of the proposed research project
- Conducts research according to the highest ethical standards
- Demonstrate communication skills by presenting scholarly research projects to medical colleagues at the Orange Park Medical Center Research Day, at national meetings and through publication in medical journals
- GME Research Coordinator dedicated to supporting resident and GME faculty Scholarly Activity
- Research Grant opportunities through Orange Park Medical Center’s affiliation with HCA Healthcare and VCOM
- Access to the HCA and the VCOM library databases
- GME Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Biostatistics & Research Analyst support
- HCA Healthcare’s Enterprise Data Warehouse including data from all HCA Healthcare sites, nationwide
- HCA Healthcare Journal of Medicine to present scholarly activity aimed to improve patient care
- Research travel funding to support poster & podium presentations at national, regional, and local conferences